It is always a fun bonus when there’s a prize for reading books. I’ll add to this list as the programs start and (perhaps give updates as we finish them!) 🙂 TIP: Make sure to have a timer on hand to track those minutes! (We used to have the timer bookmark lights we realized the books are always finished within using the bookmark. Similar to these: *https://amzn.to/2THSpZy) Read PAST YEAR’S POST and another previous YEAR’S POST to read about some fun prizes we won…(forgot to share about my prize which starts with the word FIT and ends with the word BIT…that was a fun surprise).
*Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
(Click HERE to read about some books and series we recommend.)
– Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program
– Half Price Books Summer Reading Program
– Alameda County Summer Reading Game
– San Leandro Public Library Summer Reading Program
– Pleasanton Library Summer Reading Program
Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program
Students in grades 1-6 can earn a free book by reading this summer. Read eight books, record them in your summer reading journal and bring your completed journal to your B&N between 7/1/20-8/31/20 to receive your free book! Related posts: 2018 | 2013 | 2012
Half Price Books Summer Reading Program
It looks like they will be having a program but may still be figuring out all the details. “Read 15 minutes a day to keep up an appetite for reading! Grown ups may read aloud to kids who are still learning. Feed Your Brain is going virtual! Check back soon for brand new reading logs, online storytimes and details about weekly social giveaways.” Print out the form HERE.
Alameda County Summer Reading Game
Our “Kind, Connected Summer” program is kicking off soon, running June 15 – August 15, 2020. The free activities game board will be available to download here or collected safely at any of our 10 community libraries beginning June 15th. No sign-ups or registration required. All ages are welcome to participate. You can check here for the online game –> https://guides.aclibrary.org/summer. Weekly prize drawings will be held every Friday from June 19th – August 21st. Prizes are all from local businesses and are around $100 in value each! Related post: 2010
San Leandro Public Library Summer Reading Program
There are programs for all ages at the San Leandro Public Library branches – preschool to adults! The program starts June 1st. Visit the library website to register. Read 15 books, for 15 hours, or completed 15 learning activities and you’re done! You can check here for the program –> SL summer reading.
The carnival is on Saturday, August 4th, the teen party is Friday, August 10th, and Calypso Craft Party for adults is Saturday, August 25th. Related posts: 2018 | Melody 2011 | Emily 2011 | Carnival 2011 | 2010 | Completion 2010
Pleasanton Library Summer Reading Program
Dig Deeper: Read, Investigate, Discover is the theme of this year’s Summer Reading program at the Pleasanton Public Library. From May 30 to August 2, kids, teens, and adults can earn prizes or drawing tickets by completing reading and activities. You can sign up HERE – Pleasanton Library.
Other Summer Reading Programs
I’m not familiar with the rest of these summer reading program, but you can check them out for more free stuff! I’ll add in the dates as information arrives.
- Pizza Hut Book It Program – Pizza Hut seems to have quite a few options for reading programs and checklists. You can participate through a school program or enroll as an individual homeschool parent.
- Scholastics Summer Reading Challenge – Log minutes and donate books. Runs from Monday, May 4 – Friday, September 4. It looks like it is a different format this year. You log streaks and books will be donated.
- Oakland Public Library – 2020 Kids’ Summer Reading runs May 30 – August 1. Fill in at least one star a week to earn a raffle ticket entry.
- Alameda Free Library – I don’t much information right now but it looks like they do their program through the Beanstack site as well.
- Lifeway Summer Reading Program – Sign up, download the reading journal, read six books over the course of the summer, memorize six Scripture verses, and collect your prize.
- Tyndale Kids Summer Reading Bingo Game – Read, get a BINGO on the board, get a free book!
Check out THE MOY’S GIFT GUIDE for some book recommendations!
*Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we’ll receive a tiny percentage if you make a purchase through our link at no extra cost to you. We received one or more items for review. Read our disclosure policy here.
Leave a Reply